Triple Crown National Tournament Rules
Unless noted prior to the event, National Federation High School Rules will be used with the following notations. Triple Crown reserves the right to enforce particular invitational tournament rules.
(Franchisees may offer rule variations)
(Franchisees may offer rule variations)
- Ties are allowed in pool play.
- 11u games are 1 hour 45 minutes or 6 innings. 13u/14u are 2 hour games or 7 innings.
- Age Requirement: Age cutoff information for all age divisions:
April 30th will be the designated date to determine ages. A player’s eligibility of play is determined by their age on April 30th; with additional grade considerations:
7u Division – Player turning 8 prior to May 1 of current year is NOT ELIGIBLE, unless player is in 1st Grade during the spring of the current year.
8u Division – Player turning 9 prior May 1 of current year is NOT ELIGIBLE, unless player is in 2nd Grade during the spring of the current year.
9u Division – Player turning 10 prior May 1 of current year is NOT ELIGIBLE, unless player is in 3rd Grade during the spring of the current year.
10u Division – Player turning 11 prior May 1 of current year is NOT ELIGIBLE, unless player is in 4th Grade during the spring of the current year.
11u Division – Player turning 12 prior May 1 of current year is NOT ELIGIBLE, unless player is in 5th Grade during the spring of the current year.
12u Division – Player turning 13 prior May 1 of current year is NOT ELIGIBLE, unless player is in 6th Grade during the spring of the current year.
13u Division – Player turning 14 prior May 1 of current year is NOT ELIGIBLE, unless player is in 7th Grade during the spring of the current year.
14u Division – Player turning 15 prior May 1 of current year is NOT ELIGIBLE, unless player is in 8th Grade during the spring of the current year.
15u Division – Player turning 16 prior to May 1 of current year is NOT ELIGIBLE, unless player is in 9th Grade
16u Division – Player turning 17 prior to May 1 of current year is NOT ELIGIBLE, unless player is in 10th Grade
17u Division – Player turning 18 prior to May 1 of current year is NOT ELIGIBLE, unless player is in 11th Grade
18u Division – Player turning 19 prior to May 1 of current year is NOT ELIGIBLE, unless player is in 12th Grade
- Rosters: May not exceed 20 players during the tournament for 7u-14u and may not exceed 25 players during the tournament for 15u-18u. No players may be added to a roster once the tournament has begun. Players may not participate on more than 1 team in the same tournament (regardless of age / divisions) All players must have an authorized signature to be eligible.
- Protest Fee: $100 cash (on rule interpretation only). Protests must be made prior to the next pitch being thrown. Umpire(s) must be informed first of a protest made during the game. The Tournament Director will make the final decision on all protests.
- Game Time: Starting time is forfeit time, unless delay is created by Triple Crown. Game time starts at completion of plate meeting.
- Home Team: Determined by coin flip in pool play. Higher seed is awarded the choice of home team in playoffs and championship games. The exceptions to this rule are in the case of a double elimination bracket the undefeated team will always have choice of home or away, regardless of their seed and in a “If” Game, the team that won the "first" Championship Game has choice of home/visitor. Home team is required to keep the official book. If two equal seeds meet then we will use a coin flip. Any seeding disputes will be determined by tournament staff.
- Player Minimum: A team must start with a minimum of 9 players but can finish with fewer, taking outs in the vacant batting order positions.
- Championship Games: No time limit. No Tiebreaker. Run rule still in effect.
- Pitching Rules: Innings allowed per tournament through first 4 games played:
-7's = 6 innings
-8's = 6 innings
-9's = 6 innings
-10's = 6 innings
-11's = 6 innings
-12's = 6 innings
-13's = 7 innings
-14's = 7 innings
-15's = 8 innings
-16's = 8 innings
-18's = 8 innings
*Each player on the roster gets (1) additional inning per game played starting in a team's 5th game played, 6th=1 more inning, 7th=1 more inning, etc...
*No limit on number of appearances.
*A mound appearance resulting in any single pitch (warm-up pitch or game pitch) being thrown or a play will be considered an inning pitched.
*Eight warm-ups to start, five thereafter. Umpires reserve the right to limit the warm-up time to a minimum of 1 minute regardless of the number of pitches thrown.
*If pitching rules are violated and the infraction is detected, the situation will be reviewed and a MINIMUM of the head coach ejection will be enforced. Additional consequences may include the player ejection from game, player and head coach from the tournament, forfeiture of game and elimination of team from the event.
*Scorecards must be signed by both team managers to eliminate inning validation problems. (Managers, please help with this process.)
- Visits to the mound: As per NFHS rules, each team is allowed three charged visits to the mound within a game. A charged visit is a trip in which the manager or coach does not remove the pitcher. After the three charged visits are used, every trip to the mound will result in the pitcher being removed. A visit is not “charged” when the manager removes the pitcher from the mound. Remember, charged visits are cumulative for the entire game (visits are not tracked “per pitcher”). No restrictions on visits per inning.
- Infield Warm-Ups: All teams are encouraged to warm-up as much as possible before game time. No pre-game infield.
- Baseballs: Triple Crown will give your team a dozen baseballs. Estimated two new balls per game and 1 used per game. Umpires reserve the right to refuse baseballs they determine are not suitable. If a dozen baseballs are provided by the Official Ball for the tournament to each team to start the tournament, that is the ball that must be used and you may purchase any additional by the dozen as needed.
- No steel spikes for any divisions 10u age and younger. 11u & older MAY use steel spikes.
**Reminder NO steel spikes allowed on portable mounds**
- Bat Restrictions: 13u & Younger: All bats -5 or greater must be stamped BPF 1.15 USSSA or USA stamp. Must be a baseball bat – no restriction on weight or length as long as bat has “BPF 1.15 or USA” stamp. All -3 bats must be stamped BBCOR. Wood bats allowed.
14u and Older: -3 weight/length ratio only. All -3 bats must be stamped BBCOR.
Wood Bat Rule: To be considered a wood bat, a bat must be made of a single piece of wood. All other bats such as bamboo or two-piece must meet the BBCOR standards and have the BBCOR stamp. Bat rules apply to the age division you are playing in (not the age of the player or team). Penalties for illegal bats assessed per the NFHS rule book.
- Uniforms: Unique numbers mandatory (no repeat numbers), matching uniforms recommended.
- Adverse Weather: Triple Crown Baseball tournaments will be played in adverse weather conditions. The format may be changed to lesser time limits, fewer innings cancellation of games or seed advancement to complete the tournament. Awards distribution may be based off pool play seeding, in instances where games are played without an elimination finish. If weather becomes a factor, we may revert back to the first Pool Play game or ½ of the official game time for the playoff seeding. Coaches and players accept these conditions when entering the tournament. Tournament Philosophy: Score Early, Win Early, Stay Winning. Play to win every game!
- Hotels/Motels/Condos: Teams that leave unpaid bills or damages will be removed from the tournament and reported to their respective leagues.
- No Show: Team(s) that no-show will forfeit the entry fee and may be subject to suspension from competition in Triple Crown events for the following season.
- Courtesy Runners: As per NFHS rules, a courtesy runner may be used for the pitcher or catcher. The courtesy runner must be a substitute player that has not been in the game. A courtesy runner may run for either the pitcher or catcher, but not both. Two courtesy runners (one for pitcher, one for catcher) may be used if the team has eligible substitutes for both roles. However, there's an optional (not mandatory) allowance for the catcher only - if the team doesn't meet the NFHS rule (eligible substitute), the last batter out may run for the catcher.
- Lineup/Batting order: Teams 14U and younger may bat any number of players and retain subs but must remain at the same total number of batters they started with throughout the game: Example 11 batters and 3 subs must finish with 11 batters. Batters not listed defensively will be extra hitters (EP or EH) and may rotate anywhere on the field like any other starter. If a team finishes the game with less players than they started, the team must take outs in the vacant positions (NO EXCEPTIONS). 15u and older, as well as 14u and younger, may choose to bat 9, 9 + EH, 9 + DH, or 9 + EH and DH.
- Refund Policy: There will be administration fee charged for complete rainouts the fee is a percentage of the entry and this amount is available in the team’s confirmed registration for the event; 1 game played = 50% refund; 2 or more games played = no refund.
- In the case where the event has a required lodging policy, all teams must be in compliance with lodging policy or risk not be bracketed into the tournament. Policy can be found on the main tournament webpage.
- A player or coach that is exhibits unsporting behavior and is ejected from a game will at a minimum be required to leave the immediate playing field and exit to the closest parking lot. The situation will be reviewed and any additional consequences may include the player/coach ejection from additional games, or player/coach ejection from the tournament.
- A fan/spectator that is exhibits unsporting behavior and is removed from a game will at a minimum be required to leave the immediate playing field and exit to the closest parking lot. The situation will be reviewed and any additional consequences may include the fan/spectator non-admittance for additional games, or the remainder of tournament.
- Decisions: Tournament Director shall have final decision on all tournament questions.
- Run Rules:
(7U-12U) 15 runs after 3 innings, 10 runs after 4 innings, or 8 runs after 5 innings.
(13U-18U) 15 runs after 4 innings, 10 runs after 5 innings, or 8 runs after 6 innings
All ages have a 20-run rule after 2 complete innings (home team gets last bat, if necessary)
VERY IMPORTANT!! TOURNAMENT LODGING (CONDO & HOTEL) SECURITY POLICY:
The community of Steamboat Springs has opened their doors to our events for over twenty years. Most of the lodging in the community is well suited for multiple night stays, and includes amenities you may not normally find at other tournaments of this type. Please take care of the lodging properties that are hosting you. Parents and Coaches: It is your sole responsibility to supervise your children. There should be no condominium units without adult supervision. Your players and families should be well chaperoned at all times. Any problems resulting from loud noise, horseplay in the pool facilities or general unsupervised loitering will not be tolerated by the community of Steamboat or the Triple Crown Sports Staff. Failure to comply could result in game forfeiture and/or removal from the event.